Ten cycling questions answered by Avril Hewitt.
1.Year you joined the Chain Gang?
February 2016. I saw the ad in the Kerry’s Eye that the Chain Gang were starting a mentoring group. It was on in the Meadowlands so I went along and signed up.
2. What was your story on joining the club?
I fell coming down from Carrauntouhil on the Devil’s Ladder and sprained my ankle. I wasn’t able to run for a few weeks so I started cycling on a mountain bike that I had to stay fit. I hadn’t done much cycling before that but thought I’d join the club and learn some more about group cycling.
3. Group or groups you ride with?
4. Favourite route?
Lerrig, Ardfert, Banna and a coffee in Ballyheigue looking out at the sea.
5.Favourite coffee stop?
Nana Bea’s in Castleisland
6. If this lock down finished now and you could go out solo and cycle a route. What would it be?
Out to Ballyheigue. A nice flat route to get me started and I haven’t been to the beach for weeks!
7. What would you consider to be your biggest cycling achievement?
Definitely the Ring of Beara. Those climbs…
8. Favourite cycling outside Ireland?
I’ve never cycled outside Ireland. Probably would have been Mallorca had I made it there.
9. Present and previous bike(s) and favourite?
Forme Longcliffe. My present bike is a Liv Langma and I’m very happy with it.
10. Anything on your cycling bucket list?
I’d be happy to just get back on my bike.