The Chain Gang CC are organising a set of 6 mentored cycles starting from Sunday March 10th 2019.
Welcome to the Chain Gang mentoring page.
Since the formation of the club we have aspired to run a mentoring programme each spring.
The format of the programme is aimed at gradual increase in distance and with that confidence for the cyclist. The routes will move from a modest 17 km culminating in a 55 km cycle to Listowel on the final day.
The club aims are to have the cyclists confident and proficient in cycling on roads in a group manner (two abreast).
By the end of the programme you will be ready to cycle as part of the Chain Gang mainstream within the various groups eg. 22 Group. Many cyclists use this as a platform to ready themselves for sportives such as the Ring of Beara and Ring of Kerry.
- Bicycle. Preferably a road bike, but starting off a City type bicycle is acceptable.
- Cycling gear. Helmet, sports clothing, sports or cycling shoes, water bottle, snack, mini pump, spare inner tube and tools and a water proof jacket.
- Money. All our spins involve the mandatory coffee stop. So enough money to cover a coffee and scone.
- Membership. We offer 2 free cycles to new comers, but you will be requested to join the club and Cycling Ireland for the remainder of the course as this covers insurance and all the benefits of CI membership. Cost is €70. Membership form.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Chain Gang and please feel free to message or contact us for any queries you many have. Contact
These are the anticipated routes:
Week 1 – March 10th 2019
1. Meadowlands – River Lee Cycle Path – Ballymullen – Greenlawn – Blennerville – Lock Gates – Lohercannon – Canal Path – Meadowlands
Distance – 17 km Height Gain – 61 m
Week 2 -March 17th 2019
2. Tralee – O’Riada’s Bar, Ballymac – Tralee
Distance – 20km Height gain – 92m
Week 3 -March 24th 2019
3. Tralee – O’Riada’s Bar, Ballymac – Gortalea – Tralee
Distance – 25km Height gain – 114m
Week 4 – April 7th 2019
4. Tralee – Fenit – Ardfert – Tralee
Distance – 35km Height gain – 220m
Week 5 – April 14th 2019
5. Tralee – Farranfore – Firies – Tralee
Distance – 45km Height gain – 235m
Week 6 – April 21st 2019
6. Tralee -Listowel – Finuge – Abbeydorney – Tralee
Distance – 55km Height gain – 377m
Please note that cycling is a risk sport and participants do so at their own risk. A limited number of Chain Gang members are trained in the Cycling Ireland ride leader award, but we cannot guarantee everyone helping has such a qualification.